Okay you guys know how I feel about meal prep, it's basically my secret weapon. I'm busy af during the week and I don't have time to think of what to eat every day so I love planning my meals just like I plan my workouts every week and if I'm being honest, nothing makes me happier than being able to throw a bunch of pre made stuff in a bowl and call it a meal! One of my favourite things to meal prep is different sources of protein because it usually ends up being the star of whatever meal I'm making so it has to be good. If you follow me on insta you'll already know that I'm currently trying to eat a lot more animal based protein sources for my hormonal health but I know that a large chunk of my audience is still looking for easy (and healthy) vegetarian or vegan options so I created this super flavourful marinated tofu. I know tofu gets kind of a bad rep sometimes for being tasteless or boring but it's actually a really versatile protein source and takes on basically any flavour you give it so it's perfect for marinating.
This tofu is sweet, spicy and full of flavour! I pair it with brown rice, sautéed kale, cherry tomatoes and creamy avocado with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a sprinkle of black sesame seeds on top for a nutrient dense meal full of protein, complex carbs, fibre and healthy fats!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1 block of organic NON GMO firm tofu
2 tbsp organic maple syrup
3 tbsp liquid aminos (I use Bragg)
1 tbsp organic sesame oil
1.5 tbsp organic red chilli hot sauce (think Siracha but without all the MSG)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1. Preheat your oven to 400F and line baking sheet with silicon baking mat or grease with avocado oil.
2. Drain and rinse tofu and cut into thick cubes - about 0.5 inch thick.
3. Lay tofu between 2 pieces of paper towel and press down until all the liquid has come out. You can also leave it between two cutting boards or cookie sheets for up to 30 minutes to press and dry.
4. Add all marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined then add in dry tofu cubes and mix to coat all pieces then cover and refrigerate for MINIMUM 30 minutes, the longer the better.
5. Spread tofu evenly onto baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for 15 - 20 more minutes until golden brown. *Option to broil for 2-5 minutes to get them extra crispy*
6. Serve over brown rice or quinoa with your choice of veggies and healthy fat!
*Makes 4 servings - store in airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days*