In the winter I am all about warming foods - curries, soups, stews.. you get the picture. I make a big pot of something every Sunday so that I have it on hand for lunches and dinners throughout the week and this coconut curry is one of my go-to's! The spices are warming, there is protein from the chickpeas and the healthy fats from the coconut milk keeps you full for hours - it's perfect!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
2 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Mild Yellow Curry Powder
2 Tsp Ground Cumin
Salt & Pepper To Taste
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Large Yellow or White Onion - Chopped
5 Cloves of Garlic - Minced
1 Can of Diced (No Salt Added) Tomatoes
1 Can of Drained and Rinsed (No Salt Added) Chickpeas
1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
6 Cups Fresh Spinach or Kale - Chopped
Cooked Rice or Quinoa For Serving
*Optional - Fresh Lime and Cilantro for Serving*
1. In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in the spices and cook 1-2 minutes until toasted and fragrant.
4. Add in tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes until juices are well incorporated.
5. Add in chickpeas and coconut milk, bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook for 25 minutes until curry has thickened.
6. Add in chopped spinach or kale and cover with a lid to wilt for 5 minutes, then mix thuroughly.
7. Serve with steamed grain of choice, fresh chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
xo - LU