The new year can be daunting to some - between the pressure to make resolutions and promises to ourselves (and others) that we aren't sure we will end up keeping and the guilt of looking back on things that we may have failed to accomplish last year that we desperately wanted to, there isn't a whole lot of room left to be excited about the fresh start that comes with a new year.
I get it it's hard to not beat yourself up a little bit about last years "failed" resolutions, after all no one wants to fail at anything. It's also totally normal that most of our resolutions involve changing something physical/aesthetic about ourselves which makes the guilt of not accomplishing these things even worse. It's not your fault that you feel this way though.. We live in a society that targets insecurities in order to sell products and services and it's taken to an extreme around the new year - yes I'm looking at you corporate gyms. Sure who wouldn't like to be a little lighter when they step on the scale, or to be successful at everything that they do we're only human after all, we have wants and needs! This is why every year when January rolls around we see every corporation advertising a different quick fix or expensive program that guarantees results and people go crazy for it.
NEWS FLASH you guys - there is actually no such thing as guaranteed results. That may sound obvious to some of you but a lot of people are so desperate to be successful at what they have promised to themselves that they are willing to do just about anything to get there, except for actually work for it.
If you want to change something about your life then you have to be willing to put in the time and effort that it takes and actually do the work. That's the thing with New Years Resolutions, people see them as a way to half ass their goals - if you really wanted something you wouldn't be waiting for a specific date to start going after that thing, right?
Right. So why do we wait until January 1st to attempt to better our lives?
Okay maybe you didn't lose the 5lbs that you wanted to this year and maybe that passion project of yours took a back seat - that's okay. Life is busy and stressful and so incredibly unpredictable and at the end of the day (or year) the only one who is judging you for not accomplishing those things is you. Take the time to acknowledge what you let get in your way and take note of it so you can be prepared for those inevitable speed bumps the next time they come up (because they will). Let yourself reflect and tell yourself that you will do better next time but don't wait any longer to start working towards your goals, let next time be now.
Too many people spend their lives waiting for the right moment when in all seriousness any moment can be the right one if you want it to be. Put your goals on paper - if you take nothing else away from reading this let it be this - write your goals down, look at them and work at them every single day until you have achieved them and there are new goals written in their place.
Have you heard of the law of attraction? Duh everyone has. Well that is exactly my point here, there's something about physically writing the things that we want down on paper and looking at them every day that is not only motivating but so important when it comes to the power of the universe. When you actually read your goals every day you start to be able to visualize them which makes you prioritize differently because you can actually see yourself getting there.
Life is not going to slow down and wait for you to be ready, you have to just jump into it and hope for the best and believe me when I say that if you are giving all that you have to your goals and bettering your life then the universe actually will have your back and things will start to happen for you. You don't have to wait for a new month to set intentions or a new year to start working on your goals, you have the same amount of power now that you will have on January 1st, the only difference is whether or not you're motivated enough to start now or do you need the extra push of 7 billion other people setting goals with you?
If something is truly important to us, we won't ever need anyone else's support in order to try at it. That is what separates those who are successful from those who make the same resolutions and goals every single year and never reach them.
This goes for any kind of goal whether it be in business, love, relationships, family, money, even the most commonly made resolution which is unfortunately the resolution to change something aesthetic about ourselves, usually through fitness or nutrition. It's a sad but true reality that the most common new years resolution is to lose weight or "diet" - but what if we made our resolutions to target changing what's on the inside instead of just what we see when we look in the mirror?
When you flip that switch inside of your brain and start to change your attitude towards yourself and the world from "I HAVE TO change this" to "I WANT TO change this" amazing things start to happen. When we decide to make goals and resolutions that target who we are as a person, what we do daily for others and what we want in life rather than just the physical changes that we want to see, those changes become inevitable. Okay you're probably thinking to yourself - why would making mental and internal goals and changes help me change physically? Just hear me out okay.
When you do things because you want to and not because you feel like you have to, the way that you view yourself and your life will start to change. Take exercising for example, if you decide that you are going to do it not because you hate your body and want to change it but because you actually love your body and want to keep it healthy then suddenly you won't be dreading that workout, instead you will look forward to it because it makes you feel strong which ultimately makes you feel good about yourself and your body and view them both in a positive way. This applies to all areas in your life - if you decide to run a marathon do it because it will make you feel good and not because other people will think it's admirable, if you want to start a business do it because you are passionate and not for the money.
I can guarantee that if you just let yourself get over the idea of failing you will not fail.
SO WHAT ARE MY 2018 GOALS?
1. Practice self care daily - I often find that I am so busy trying to do everything for everyone else (clients, friends, family, etc) that I neglect my needs which can result in burning out so I want to focus on doing something simple for just me every day.
2. Don't let my phone/laptop be the last thing that I see before I go to sleep and the first thing that I see when I wake up - This one is HUGE for me, when you run your own business it can be hard to actually unplug but I find that I sleep better when I turn my electronic devices off about an hour before bed and I am so much more alert and focused when I don't check it until at least 30 minutes after I wake up.
3. Be more present - We live in a crazy time for relationships, whether it be romantic or not, everyone is constantly on their phones and laptops constantly and I am totally guilty of this so I want to make sure that when I am with someone face to face I am giving all of my energy to that person.
4. Practice yoga at least twice a week - I have been telling myself to do more yoga for months and for some reason I can never prioritize it like I do with my other workouts. It's so good for not only your body but also your mind and soul and always leaves me feeling so grounded which is a feeling that I could always use more of. Plus my mom is actually a yoga teacher so I have access to it and I feel terrible that I don't take advantage of it.
5. GROW MY BUSINESS - Something in the last two weeks has lit a fire inside of me and I am so ready to jump into the new year at full speed and grow my online wellness coaching business. I am so passionate about helping women change their lives and I am going to do everything in my power to touch as many women as possible in the new year.
6. Finally launch my secret project - I can't really elaborate on this because it is a secret but lets just say that I have had this on the back burner for almost a year and I have recently been pouring a ton of time into it and am SO excited to get it launched and share it with you all.. stay tuned.
But I'm not waiting until January 1st to work on these things, I'm starting today - the best way to do better than you did last year is to be better, starting now.