I use to be in a very serious, committed relationship with Starbucks lemon loaf, I mean I got a slice every time that I went to grab a coffee for the bulk of my teenage life which was A LOT. I'm sure that you can guess that the nutritionist in me is crying about the processed sugar content right now but live and learn right? Well it has been a hot minute since I have had or even thought about lemon loaf but for some reason I have seen it all over the place lately and I needed to get my hands (mouth) on some zesty goodness. So I whipped some up but obviously put my own healthy spin on it, added blueberries for good measure and went with muffins instead of a loaf because convenience.. duh.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1 cup GF oat flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tbsp GF flour - I use Bob's Redmill (can sub regular flour)
1/3 cup coconut sugar
0.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 flax egg - 1 tbsp flax mixed with 3 tbsp warm water
2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
Juice of 1 lemon - about 3 tbsp
Zest of one lemon - about 1.5 tbsp
1/2 cup blueberries - I used defrosted, frozen ones
1. Preheat oven to 350F, line 8 muffin tins with liners and lightly spray liners with coconut oil.
2. In a large measuring cup or small bowl mix together all dry ingredients except for coconut sugar and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl or stand mixer mix together all wet ingredients and coconut sugar, until well incorporated.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until everything is evenly mixed then fold in blueberries - be very gentle to prevent bleeding.
5. Divide batter evenly into muffin tins (filling 3/4 of the way) and bake for 20-24 minutes or until just golden brown on the top.
xo - LU