I must really be feeling the Christmas spirit because I'm bringing you not one but TWO holiday recipes in one post. I already brought you chocolate and peppermint this holiday so I wanted to create a recipe with another one of my favourite holiday flavour combinations - cranberry and orange. My first thought was a healthy & citrusy twist on the classic cranberry sauce but then I realized that I can't bring you a thick, delicious jam like sauce and not give you something to spread it on.. right? Enter pillowy soft orange muffins with just the right burst of tart from the cranberries.
These two recipes are perfect when paired together (hello Christmas morning breakfast) or eaten on their own. If you're anything like me you'll probably just eat the cranberry sauce with a spoon.. It's that good (and it's healthy).
SUGAR FREE CRANBERRY ORANGE SAUCE
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1 Bag of Fresh Cranberries
1 Large Navel Orange
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup Water
1. In a sauce pan combine cranberries and water and cook on medium heat until you start to hear it simmer.
2. Zest your orange and then cut in half and juice it. Add the zest, juice, cinnamon and maple syrup into the sauce pan and cook down until cranberries start to pop and become soft - about 5-10 minutes.
3. With a fork or the back of a spoon mash most of the cranberries, leaving some whole for texture and presentation. Continue to cook 2-3 more minutes until you have a thick jam like consistency.
4. Serve on top of muffins, toast, oatmeal or with your Christmas dinner!
GF, REFINED SUGAR FREE, VEGAN CRANBERRY ORANGE MUFFINS
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1 Mashed Banana
1/4 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
1/3-1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (may need more depending on size of banana)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Zest of 2 Mandarin Oranges - About 1.5 Tsp of zest
1 Cup Raw Fresh Cranberries - Can sub frozen
1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
2 Cups GF Oats - Ground into flour
1.5 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 375F and spray 12 muffin tins with coconut oil.
2. In a separate bowl mix together all dry ingredients. In a stand mixer or bowl combine mashed banana, coconut oil, vanilla, almond milk and coconut sugar, mix until well incorporated - about 2 mins.
3. Add orange zest to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly, then add all dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Fold in cranberries and spoon into muffin tins to fill them 3/4 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
5. Smother in Cranberry sauce and ENJOY!
*Makes 12 Muffins*
xo - LU