FUN FACT: I’m a sucker for muffins, if you found me in a coffee shop during high school you could have almost guaranteed that I would be ordering a muffin. And don’t even get me started about banana nut muffins, those were literally like crack to me.. I was low key obsessed with the ones from Tim Hortons when I was 16 - oh god I’m actually cringing while typing that because they’re FULL OF SO MUCH CRAP! Now that I’m actually educated on what goes into most muffins and baked goods in coffee shops and bakery’s (refined flours, gluten on processed sugar on fillers on crap) I tend to avoid buying them, but that doesn’t mean my obsession is dead - it most definitely is not.
Well you guys I’m not one to hype myself up (or am I? okay I totally am) but these are hands down the best muffins I’ve ever had let alone actually made myself! I know that that’s a bold statement but I’m not even being dramatic (for once) these are next level. They’re moist from the banana, crunchy from the walnuts and packed with chocolate chips.. oh and they’re super clean, made with a combination of gluten free oat flour and almond flour and full of fiber!
So yeah, I’m prepared to make the assumption that they’ll be the best thing you’ll have made in a long time.. So what are you waiting for!?
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
2 mashed bananas
6 tbsp egg whites or 2 full eggs
4 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup oat flour
1/4 cup almond flour
3 tbsp ground flax
1/3 cup chopped raw walnuts
1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
PRO TIP: Save some for topping!
1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray 9 muffin tins with coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together all wet ingredients until combined.
3. Add all dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Stir in mix in’s, leaving a small amount for topping.
5. Divide into 9 muffin tins and then top with remaining toppings.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Makes 9 large muffins
XO - LU